Tim Annan has been elected as Methodist Youth President designate to begin his term in September 2016, following his election at this year’s 3Generate, the Methodist Children and Youth Assembly, which took place from 20-23 November.
The current Youth President, Craig Gaffney welcomed the announcement saying: “Tim has shown a real heart for young people and the Methodist Church. I’m sure he’ll make a wonderful Youth President and I look forward to seeing the different ways that he will impact the Church when he comes into office.”
In his pre-election manifesto Mr Annan, who has been working and training as a youth worker, said: “I have seen the difference that young people make for our churches and our communities. We are a passionate people, standing up for our causes.
“As Youth President, I will put forward the ideas of the young people of the Methodist Church to challenge and change our Church. Together we can make an impact not only on our Church, but on our society as well”.
This year’s 3Generate took place at PGL Liddington Adventure Centre, Swindon, where close to 600 young Methodists aged 8-23 gathered together to worship, learn and make decisions that will affect the life of the wider Methodist Church. This year’s event was a sold-out success, which saw more than double the amount of young people and youth leaders attend compared to last year.
Highlights from the event included a variety of topical workshops, indoor and outdoor activities, debates and campaigns work. New additions this year included a specially commissioned slam poetry session, club-style worship and zip wires.
In summarising the highlights of this year’s 3Generate Craig said: “It’s always amazing to interact with other young Christians and other young Methodists in particular. There was a lot of really cool stuff going on this year with the Silent Disco, Club Worship, Gospel Choirs… We really mixed up the worship and social formats that we’ve had in the past, which gave this year’s 3Generate a new feel and a vibe with lots of new exciting features. For a taste of this year’s event, why not check out our YouTube channel, 3GenTV.”
You can catch up on highlights from the event by searching for #3Gen2015 on Twitter.
- 3Generate, formerly the Methodist Children & Youth Assembly, is an annual action-packed weekend for hearing the voice of children and young people across the Methodist Church, focussing on fun, faith and friends. For more information, see their website.
- A photograph of Tim Annan can be downloaded on the Methodist Flickr page.
- Watch Tim Annan presenting his manifesto for Youth President on YouTube.
- For highlights of this year’s event, please visit the 3GenTV YouTube channel or search for #3Gen2015 on Twitter.
About the Methodist Church in Britain
The Methodist Church is one of the largest Christian churches serving Great Britain, with nearly 209,000 members and regular contact with 512,000 people. It has 5,023 churches in Great Britain, and also maintains links with other Methodist churches with a worldwide total membership of over 80 million. Its activities, both alone and with ecumenical and secular partners, are based on four aims known as Our Calling:
- To increase awareness of God’s presence and to celebrate God’s love
- To help people to grow and learn as Christians through mutual support and care
- To be a good neighbour to people in need and to challenge injustice
- To make more followers of Jesus Christ.Registered charity no. 1132208.For more information contact:Toby Fairclough
Methodist Church House
25 Marylebone Road, London NW1 5JR T 0207 467 5208
M 07969 985 376
F 020 7467 5229
This story was originally posted at http://www.methodist.org.uk/news-and-events/news-releases/tim-annan-to-be-next-methodist-youth-president. It has been reprinted with permission.